Social media has been popular for a decade, but it really exploded over the last several years.
Here’s an idea of how important social media really is:
- Facebook has almost 1.2 billion active users every month.
- 20% of young adults use Twitter every single day.
- 72% of adults use at least one social network site. This jumps to 89% when you narrow down to adults between the ages of 18 and 29.
Clearly, social media is popular and here to stay. If you want to reach this massive audience, you need to master social media marketing. As a small business, this seems daunting, but you’re on the same level as everybody else. Here’s what you need to do to master SMM as an SMB:
Use the Right Tools
There are a lot of great social media management tools that are completely free. You’ll be able to schedule posts, manage multiple accounts, and keep track of your posts.
If you want to really master your craft, though, you need to dig deep into its features. New tools are being added every day and if you can master them, you’ll be well ahead of the curve.
Be Worthy of Followers
There are tons of businesses on social media right now, so you need to offer something to gain traction. Interact with your followers, post lots of content, and run contests on a regular basis. The more interactive and fun your SMM is, the more popular you’ll be.
Create the Right Content
Unfortunately, there’s no magic formula for creating killer content. However, here are some tips that will help you on your way:
- Stay consistent by posting as regularly as possible.
- Create content that’s focused on a small, important part of your audience.
- Post a wide variety of content: quick messages, contents, infographics, videos, blog posts, etc.
- Post and share content generated by your own audience. You’ll enjoy free content while engaging your audience.
The Most Important Tip
The most important thing to remember is to stay genuine. Make sure your SMM efforts reflect your traditional marketing and messaging. Use social media to highlight your culture and company in a fun, engaging way. Soon your company will be masters of social media!
by Bruce Worrall, Sept-15-2015